Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Final Project

First, I would like to note that I do not, in fact, dislike tragedy. On the contrary, I very much enjoy reading it, perhaps more than any other genre. In my last post, I merely meant that personally I do not believe life itself to be tragic. Yes, it contains tragedies, but those are what steers life away from monotony and toward "worthwhile". Tragedy, also, is a matter of personal circumstance - we can only, I believe, experience tragedy to the extent of which we allow ourselves to experience it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hieros Gamos, the topic that I have chosen for my final project, is something that fascinates me more and more as i continue to familiarize myself with the works of William Shakespeare. Back in January, I was already considering pursuing my analysis of holy marriage further (see older blogs) and, as we pass the midpoint of this course, I am even more convinced that this is the topic I wish to write about. 

The focus of this piece will be The Tempest, namely the relationship between Ferdinand and Miranda, but I will also reference A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet. Hughes and Turner, as well as The Bottom Translation will serve as my outside sources. 

I plan on discussing not only holy marriage, but also love in general, infatuation, passion, and looking with the eyes v.s. the mind v.s. the heart. I will also show how the Shakespearean angle of these concepts is timeless, and how it relates to our current American culture.  




No comments:

Post a Comment